Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Collimating beaulieu lens

  1. #1
    Vurfer
    Guest Vurfer's Avatar

    Post

    Hi,
    I recently got another second-hand beaulieu with a Schneider-Kreuznach 6-66 lens. Got it at a neat price, and it actually appears to work properly (unlike the first one I had for a few weeks).

    Except that the lens is very badly collimated, so bad that it's only possible to focus the picture at very large focal lengths.
    Does anyone know how to collimate one of these Schneider lenses? I would like to try it myself first. If I get it done professionally I reckon it'll cost me more than I payed for the camera.

    thanks in advance,
    Daniel

    ------------------

  2. #2
    salt-sg
    Guest salt-sg's Avatar

    Post

    Hello,I have same one!
    And I disassembled it myself for cleaning and light repair, because I did not know technicians who do it.
    Please loosen 5 very small screws on the focus ring.
    The focus ring becomes free, and you can adjust stop position of the infinite in tele end of the zoom.
    And after you did it,please turn the zoom ring to the maximum wide angle.
    If the finder image looks sharp, your lens will be useful.

    Please try it, to save money!

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Vurfer
    Guest Vurfer's Avatar

    Post

    Hm, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here ...
    I mean the adjustment of the flange focal distance (which is supposed to be 17.52mm for Beaulieu cameras, and in fact all cameras with the C-mount connector).
    Which involves moving the rear lens element, not the front.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    supa_ate_sixteen
    Guest supa_ate_sixteen's Avatar

    Post

    Just curious, do all Cmount lenses have 17.5 mm threads? I am looking into buying a wide lens for my 16mm camera that has an unkown thread of 34mm. Would it be hard to get an adapter from 34 to 17mm so I can use this wide angle lens??

    Thanks

    ------------------

  5. #5
    salt-sg
    Guest salt-sg's Avatar

    Post

    Is the mount of the body bad?

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Holy shiese! (did I spell that correctly?)

    This is the first time I've heard a non-American say "I reckon"!!

    I thought our slaughtering of the English language was mostly confined to the continent!

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  7. #7
    S8 Booster
    Guest S8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Lens collimation:

    Just some info. The following is from collimating of Canon S8 814XL-S lenses. I believe that the principles are much the same.

    At first glance it seems to me that it is a job for an authorized lens workshop due to some special tools needed.

    Anyway here it is. Its OCR scanned from a manual so it might not be all that good but ut gives an idea what it is about.

    Adjustments
    For all adjustments, the main power switch should be on.

    Focus Adjustment

    1. 100 & 600mm collimator Method
    A. Open the shutter.
    B. Open the aperture.
    C. Install the focal plane mirror tool.
    D. Adjust at Tele by moving the focusing ring stopper.
    E. Adjust at wide by moving the relay lens (SE-182 tool)
    F. Alternately adjust tele and wide until best focus is acheived at both.

    Collimator Limit Model f Collimator f scale = 0.01mm (mm).

    814 W 100 4 +/-0.02
    XL-S T 600 2.3 +/-0.02

    Notes: 100-600mm Dual Focal Length Collimator

    Instructions: C-00l-6
    Catalog No.: SC-003-2

    To establish collimator scale value, check several new units and average the results.

    MACRO focus is not separately adjustable. If normal focus is correct, MACRO will also be correct.

    2. Lens Projection Test Method (Afocal adjustment not necessary)

    A. Open the shutter.
    B. Open the diaphragm to maximum.
    C. Set the zoom ring at the wide angle end (not macro)
    D. Set the focusing ring at two meters and set the camera film plane two meters from the projection surface and normal to it. (Observe all projection test rules)

    E. Install the projection chart cartridge in the camera.
    F. Adjust the relay lens position with the tool (SE-182)
    C. Adjust for sharpest focus by:

    1) observing the finest lines in the projected chart image (100 or 125 l/mm), or,
    2) Observe the colour fringe shift from green to red and set just at the changeover point.
    H. Tighten the relay lens setscrew.
    I. Set the lens at infinity (?) then slowly adjust toward a closer distance until the chart image is again sharpest. The focusing ring should be at two meters. If not, readjust.

    J. Stake the relay lens setscrew with screw lock..

    Note: Test Equipment: Super 8 lens Projection Test Unit (SU-024)


    Lens Projection Test Method
    (Afocal adjustment necessary) *

    A. Open the shutter.
    B. Open the diaphragm.

    C. Free the focusing ring by loosening the three setscrews.
    D. Adjust the tele focus with the front lens;

    E. Adjust the relay lens to adjust the wide angle focus. (Alternate "D" and "E" for best focus)

    F. Set the focusing so 2m is aligned with the index and tighten the three setscrews.

    Note: Detail adjustment are identical to section 2.
    Afocal adjustment is normally only necessary if the zoom lens unit has been disassembled.



    ------------------
    Forrest Warrior

  8. #8
    S8 Booster
    Guest S8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    It might be that

    salt-sg - san

    is up to something here still if you compare his tips to the

    "1. 100 & 600mm collimator Method"

    described above.

    It does have some similarities.




    ------------------
    Forrest Warrior

  9. #9
    #Pedro
    Guest #Pedro's Avatar

    Post

    Hi all,
    I?m a very realistic guy, knowing about the extremly small tolerances allowed in S8 for sharp focus. So I highly recommend to leave this job to a specialized service man.
    Anyway special tools and knowledge are needed. (colimnator). When having both, it?s a rather quick job you can wait for when bringing in the camera and lens. And it is not costy at all. Here I?m paying for colimnating customer?s lenses to the Beaulieu 9008 body only about EUR 50 or less (depening if the adjustment pins are on the correct position or not). When purchasing an add. lens for the camera, colimnation is always included in the price.
    Vasted footage because out of focus or for testing of the home experiments is much more expensive than the colimnation job.
    Pedro

    ------------------

  10. #10
    S8 Booster
    Guest S8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Agree with Pedro. Its a job for an authorized workshop.

    It will be no useful with a precision cam and lens if its not properly adjusted.



    ------------------
    Forrest Warrior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •